It is currently 25 Jul 2017, 22:46

Welcome
Welcome to europeanpolitics

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: British Imperialism
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 07:52 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 11 time
Besoeker wrote:
How, for example, would you compare the Boer concentration camps and the partitioning of India?
The number of fatalities, the manner in which they lost their lives? The accepted practices in history?
Crucified, burned at the stake, keel hauled, or hung drawn, and quartered.

We humans seem to have had a colourful imagination when it came to inflicting death and cruelty on our fellow humans.
I abhor violence and wars. I know I have mentioned before that I don't agree with capital punishment.

As I have stated before, I do not draw comparisons but treat each case on its own particular merits. You can not compare the British concentration camps set up to incarcerate Boer civilians to the partitioning of India. They are completely separate events, in different parts of the world and at different times.

As for difference of degree of atrocity, I am not suggesting there is some kind of scientific instrument that can measure cruelty. There is no such thing. It is more a question of how we perceive these things to be. We try to make an objective judgement.

In Islam we say, the death of one person is like the death of all mankind. In this we learn that it does not matter the degree of the murder but that murder is in itself wrong and it reaches out to all.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 18:12 

Have thanks: 1 time
"The differences are simply a matter of degree" is your choice of words so one might reasonably colclude that you do consider there are different degrees of atrocity - i.e. a method of comparison.

So how would you come up with the different degrees of atrocity? I agree it wouldn't be a fixed scientific formalua.
Death toll? Manner of death? Treatment while incarcerated?

That's why I cited the Boer prison camps and the partitioniing of India.
How would you assess your matter of degrees in those ?

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 09:12 
Site Admin

Degree as a descending or ascending scale? You often hear people ask, "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you score such and such a thing?" ... often in comparison.

I am glad you accept there is no fixed scientific formula for this and so one could consider it purely a matter of either objective or subjective opinion.

If you accept that there are different degrees of severity when it comes to atrocities, then it is only a matter of opinion.

For example, how would you assess the severity of the atrocities committed by the Nazis in World War II in comparison to those committed by the Japanese? Would you include the Rape of Nanking prior to World War II? I think it would be futile to assess them on a scale of 1 to 10 because the Nazi atrocities were more severe to a Jew while the treatment of POWs by the Japanese is much closer home to an Australian. Then there are the Koreans and the Chinese with their particular experiences of the Japanese. So the degree of severity would depend on group experiences and would differ as such.

The British concentration camps in South Africa remain a root cause of Afrikaner versus English enmity. The partitioning of India remains a bone of contention between Pakistan and India ... Muslim and Hindu. Those that are and remain affected by these episodes in history must judge. It is not for me to judge only insofar that they would affect me. Obviously, they would affect others more severely.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 17:02 

You brought up differences of degree in severity or atrocity so it would seem clear that you believe such difference of degree exist.
That infers a comparison by you.

A link that might interest you:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/worst-atrocities-british-empire-amritsar-boer-war-concentration-camp-mau-mau-a6821756.html

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 17:56 
Site Admin

I am familiar with that website. It was one of those that popped up after Googling "atrocities of the British Empire".

That's how you probably found it.

Each episode is different. This does not imply comparison. I have explained that degrees of severity are a matter of opinion.

Nothing more.

The claim that a large proportion of the British people are proud of colonialism and the British Empire is more a reflection on the lack of morality and ignorance on the part of that section of the British people. The website illustrates how much the British should be thoroughly ashamed of the British Empire. I know that I am.

Perhaps you should cease deflecting and face up to this fact.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 18:43 

Different degrees of anything may be subjective or objective opinion. But a difference it is. A comparison. It is measure by whatever standard you think appropriate.

You ask that I face up to this fact? I did not dispute this fact. Not once. Your comment about me makes no reference to fact. Who is doing the deflecting??

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 20:10 
Site Admin

You need only face up to the fact that the British Empire is something to be condemned as cruel, exploitative and downright murderous. That it did far more harm than good.

I am speaking of it collectively and not as a series of comparative episodes. You talk some rubbish when you go on about "measure" and "comparisons". That, alone, is deflective. The issue is one of morality (right and wrong) and not a measuring device.

It was ALL wrong for the simple reason it involved theft and murder. That is all we need to know. We then go on from there.

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2