It is currently 25 May 2017, 16:06

Welcome
Welcome to europeanpolitics

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Language
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2017, 14:20 

Have thanks: 1 time
Our esteemed Mr Edwards brought up the topic of language in another thread. I used what he called an Americanism.
You can have a bunch of grapes, flowers, bananas, meaning more than one or several. Why can't you have a bunch of people where bunch means several or a group.
From Wikipedia:

bunch
noun
group,cluster, clump, knot;
group, assemblage, collection

Slightly more seriously, apart from evolving, language across English speaking tending to level is something I have observed. Because of the common media, people are exposed to words that have become commonly used by different nations. And some local vernacular is getting lost. In some ways, I think that's a shame.

But maybe there is a positive side to it. People from different nations or even differeent parts of the same country would be better able to communicate with each other with fewer misunderstandings.

Post subject: Re: Language
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 22:33 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 11 time
if you want the collective noun for people then they are a group. People are neither grapes nor flowers.

For cows, they would be a herd ... and so on. You do not have a bunch of cows.

There is the proper collective noun for most things.

However, it is the American habit to apply bunch, as a collective noun, to everything. It is a lazy use of English and shows literary ignorance.

There is such a thing as correct English, in spelling and grammar. This should be preserved by all who love this language.

There is nothing positive about being in error.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 23:11 

EuropeanAction wrote:
if you want the collective noun for people then they are a group. People are neither grapes nor flowers.

For cows, they would be a herd ... and so on. You do not have a bunch of cows.

There is the proper collective noun for most things.

However, it is the American habit to apply bunch, as a collective noun, to everything. It is a lazy use of English and shows literary ignorance.

There is such a thing as correct English, in spelling and grammar. This should be preserved by all who love this language.

Indeed there is.
My 1936 Nesfield manual of composition and grammar sits on my shelf. My choice of words, punctuation, and grammar may be less than perfect as you regularly point out.
But horses for courses. On an internet forum or real in live conversation if the meaning is clear perfect grammar is not the main objective.

If I tell my beast "Let's go" he goes. I don't suppose he would react any differently if I missed out that apostrophe.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 12:57 
Site Admin

You are talking utter bullocks again.

If you tell your beast anything then the vocal instruction does not require punctuation. Only in written text. Your beast would not know what punctuation is.

On the news earlier, an American tennis player complained about another professional player by accusing her of being "a cheater". The word she failed to grasp is "cheat". A cheater with a variation in spelling is a large wild cat that runs very fast for its dinner. Another example of American illiteracy. A person who cheats is a cheat.

Are we now going to have our children accusing others of being cheaters? I sincerely hope not. Ban Americanisms from our schools.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 17:50 

EuropeanAction wrote:
You are talking utter bullocks again.

If you tell your beast anything then the vocal instruction does not require punctuation. Only in written text.* Your beast would not know what punctuation is.

Quite so. But I think you missed my point.

I use the internet for personal and business communications. And social media.
With social media I take the view that, if a point is made without ambiguity, that's fine. It did what was intended. Do grammatical errors really matter?
I see internet forum exchanges as conversational and reflect that style.

Americanisms? I don't particularly have a problem with that. The wibbly, wobbly web is not region specific. Thus there is inevitably some crossover in how things and thoughts are expressed.
But some things do irk me a wee bit. Amperage is one of them.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 18:12 
Site Admin

I do not miss any of your points even though you have a problem articulating on occasion.
All of this personal flannel you come out with is not an argument.
Personally, I value correctness in speech, grammar and punctuation. They matter to me.
I like to think there are now many Saudi students speaking better English than many indigenous people of these isles.
Americanisatiin is the greatest threat to our culture and we should begin the resistance to it by defending our English language.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]