It is currently 28 Apr 2017, 10:12

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to europeanpolitics

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Syndicalism
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 08:31 

Have thanks: 5 time
Not sure if this is the correct board to post. However, if not, feel free to move.

I am interested in starting a conversation about the economics of syndicalism. How it can be applied practically and in a contemporary setting.

My particular interest is on how the syndicalism model is affected by the march in robotic and artificial intelligence technologies.

To begin with, I would be grateful, if someone with a greater understanding of syndicalism, can introduce this discussion by posting a definition.

Look forward to the reply.

Albus has been thanked by:

Post subject: Re: Syndicalism
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 15:33 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 11 time
As I understand it, syndicalism is worker's ownership or industrial democracy.

It would work within an economic system that is insulated from global capitalism. That is to say, free and large enough to be self-sufficient.

Post subject: Re: Europe a Nation 1948
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 16:26 

Not that the two can be distinguished as it appears that the micro level, correct me if I am wrong, can't work on its own without the macro level.

Syndicalism in industry, on the micro economic level, is similar to cooperatives. Such as John Lewis?

On the macro level syndicalism would suit an autarky system where resources are contained in a self sufficient economy?

If, you could correct me because I am trying envisage a syndical mode which could replace capitalism.

So, the worker would be in boardroom, or representatives, deciding production, price of goods produced, or the price of the commodity.

I understand how this can replace the greed factor which drives capitalism and in some way ensures that the worker produces what he needs without the capitalist drive for surplus value and the exploitation there of

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 16:40 

If you could recommend a good book on syndicalism that would be good.

The other interesting development is the advance in robotics and artificial intelligence where the capitalist is actually replacing the worker or getting rid of the worker as much as possible, especially with repetitive tasks. This has lead to debate on government paying everyone a basic income. Obviously, without the worker (who is also a consumer) the capitalist mode would breakdown going forwards. Hence, in Switzerland there was a recent referendum on paying everyone a basic income on that basis.

Post subject: Discussion on Syndicalism
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 16:42 
Site Admin

Otherwise known as workers' ownership or industrial democracy.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 16:53 
Site Admin

Albus wrote:

The other interesting development is the advance in robotics and artificial intelligence where the capitalist is actually replacing the worker or getting rid of the worker as much as possible, especially with repetitive tasks. This has lead to debate on government paying everyone a basic income. Obviously, without the worker (who is also a consumer) the capitalist mode would breakdown going forwards. Hence, in Switzerland there was a recent referendum on paying everyone a basic income on that basis.

Which was defeated.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 18:27 

Yes, it was defeated. The reasons given was similar to Brexit - fear of attracting immigration.

I am in favour of Basic Income (imperfect in comparison to syndicalism since the worker is still removed from ownership of production) since it will go along way to reducing poverty.

We seem to have reached a point where the owners of capital (by this I am talking about the 1% or super rich) are dispensing with the worker altogether. If robotics can manufacture robots and even maintain them which is becoming a reality.

The fact is that these forces are impacting on labour - not wishing to sound like a Luddite.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2016, 20:16 
Site Admin

Albus wrote:

http://www.mosleyfacsimiles.com/umindustrialpolicy.htm

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Contact Us | All times are UTC